My first 5k and my training

I was never a runner but 5k runs can be for some good causes.  So I decieded to do a 5k and get my 3.1 miles timed all while supporting an organization that does good things.

I came up with a training routine for runners like my self who do not run for long periods of time.  I started off with a 2 minute worm up walk, then 2 minute jog, then a 1 minute sprint.  I continued this process over and over until 3 miles had been reached

Unfortunately I had bad shin splints and the training was not easy or consistent.  I had to do my 3 miles on an elliptical while my shins healed.  As the 5k drew near my training turned into a 1/4 mile walk, and a 3/4 mile jog repeated.

The day of the 5k I was 100%.  About half way through the 5k my shins started to become painful.  But I did not want to give up. My cardio was great and I talked through the whole run but it was my shins that were in great pain.  I changed HOW I was running during the race. I began to bounce off my toes and land on my toes.  My cafs were getting a heck of a work out and my shins were no longer in pain.  I was able to complete the 5k in 36.09, 4th in my age group.  This means I have an easy time to beat for the next one.

In the end I competed my first 5k, found out how to run more effectively, and have a beast of a routine to train for all my others in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!

FACEBOOK